Mollie and Karl Butler Young Scholar Award
The Mollie and Karl Butler Young Scholar Award in Western Studies, sponsored by the Charles Redd Center for Western Studies, was created to promote significant scholarship in western American studies by junior faculty members. The award acknowledges outstanding academic promise, based upon a faculty member's record of research, teaching, and citizenship. The Butler award is funded from the John Topham and Susan Redd Butler Research Endowment which was established in 1986 through the instrumentality of Karl Butler. The award carries a $3,000 annual salary stipend and a $5,000 annual support award, subject to all university financial policies, and with any capital equipment purchased from these funds being the property the university. Any unused funding may carry over for the duration of the award. Appointments are for three years and may not be renewed. Any accumulated funding not expended within three (3) years after the expiration of a Young Scholar Award will revert to the Charles Redd Center for reallocation.
A faculty member should have been in a faculty position for at least three years but not more than ten years since completing the terminal degree, and in a rank of Assistant or Associate Professor. The faculty member should be engaged in significant scholarship in western American studies.
Who May Nominate
A faculty member is nominated by their department chair. If you are interested in being considered for this award, please contact your department chair and make arrangements for a complete nomination packet to be submitted by March 15.
Required Contents of Complete Nomination Packet
1) Nomination Letter from the Department Chair
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Summary and Self-Evaluation of Accomplishments in
- Teaching (including student evaluation summaries)
- Scholarly and Creative Work
4) Respond to the following prompt: What would a Young Scholar award enable you to accomplish that you could not achieve otherwise? (100 words or fewer)
5) Two Letters of Recommendation from off-campus professional peers
- Please submit these in the nomination packet, not as separate items
Deadline for Nominations: March 15: Email the completed PDF as a single file to email@example.com.
Announcement of Award: May 1